DROID!

Lately, I’ve been finding myself working in places where normal cell phone reception isn’t happening.  Lately, I’ve had an itch to try my hand at building mobile apps.  Lately, I’ve wanted a phone that wasn’t…  well…

Just a phone.

This past week, I’d had it.  An important business call went to voice mail because, while ATT covers 97% of America, my house lies in the other 3%.  So, after carefully laying out the facts, as well as plying her with alcohol, I told Nita it was time I made sure the door hit ATT in the ass on the way out moved to her Verizon plan.  Oh, and if I could learn to write mobile apps, I could get a better paying job than the one I have now.

Sufficiently plied with booze informed of the facts, Nita agreed.  So Sunday morning, we went to the Verizon store where we got my Motorola Droid.  As an added bonus, we turned on the 3G service.  Just this morning, I figured out how to answer calls.  I’d have done it sooner, but I was busy playing with the Internet.

The Droid is bigger than a lot of phones I’ve had, including the Crackberry BigHugeCo made my lug around.  But it does so much more.  My Gmail goes directly to it.  This blog is rendered quite nicely on the screen.  And I downloaded the Kindle.  So far, looks good.

I haven’t played with all the features yet.  Hell, I’ve been so busy playing with the Internet connection that I haven’t had a chance to turn on my voicemail yet.  I also haven’t tried the phone out as a music player nor do I have any newsfeeds or sports scores streaming to it.

Yet.

Hey, it’s summer and fair weather for the Cincinnati Reds.  I should probably get on the bandwagon soon.

So does this mean I’ve forsaken the iPhone for the Android platform?

Child, please.  The iPhone’s biggest drawback, besides its antenna, is that it’s on ATT.

And my house still sits in that 3% not covered.

One thought on “DROID!

  1. I calculate that being the “3% minority” is worse than it sounds. The fine print is that they cover 97% “of Americans,” meaning they have the densely populated areas down pat, but leave more gaps the farther you go into the open west. Those gaps might leave you in a broad pocket of non-coverage.

    In terms of square miles, it’s likely to be closer to 80-20. In terms of cockroaches versus grasshoppers, it’s likely closer to 50-50.

Comments are closed.