Just a few things I want to get off my chest about our technological society. Some new. Some repeated. But hey, I haven’t had my coffee yet, so I get to piss and moan to my little heart’s content. Hopefully, you’re informed or entertained. If not, it’s a big Internet. You know what the address bar is for. I hope.
- Recently, I heard a whining commentary on how Internet on airplanes invades privacy. “Now, I’m expected to be in touch even at 36,000 feet,” he complained. As to the suggestion that he turn off his iBerryDroid device while on the plane (or anywhere else he might want a minute to himself), he said, “But then I’ll be seen as out of touch, a luddite.” Dude, you deserve every intrusive email and phone call you get. If you’re so insecure that you worry about overly needy people wanting you to respond to their emails Right. This. Second. you have much bigger problems than being a luddite. Turn the damn phone off, and tell people you’ll get back to them when your life permits, not theirs. For a society big on individualism, we sure have become a bunch of sheep. (Kinda like the neocon movement.)
- Related to the previous rant, there are people who, in fact, think you have to respond to every email, every IM, every phone call instantly. My response: You need to chill and remember other people have lives, lives that most likely don’t revolve around you. If you don’t get a response in two hours, it probably means the other person is busy, turned off their phone/computer/whatever, doesn’t want to talk to you, or doesn’t want to talk period. All those are valid reasons you are not entitled to an opinion about*. Get over it.
- I still say cheap cell phones are the worst thing to come out of the 1990′s. On the other hand, you can have mine when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.
- Anonymous blog comments – If you say it, claim it. And don’t hide behind someone else’s name, either. Yes, some people have online names they use, but there’s a difference between building an identity and hiding one. Put up or shut up. Preferably shut up.
- Windows Mobile devices – No, seriously, Mr. Ballmer, you need to make these things a little more responsive if you want to compete with Apple in the touch-screen sweepstakes. Right now, you’re lagging behind Apple (of course), Blackberry, Google, and… Palm? WTF?
- Will someone please explain to me the appeal of Twitter? Beyond short little news bites, it’s pretty much useless.
*Winter’s Law: You are not entitled to an opinion of other people’s personal lives. It’s not your life, so it’s not your business. Celebrity is not an exception.** End of discussion.
**Which means Heidi and Spencer Pratt need to go away. Now.